Sunday, February 21, 2010

Elisheva's Test Kitchen - Macaroni and cheese goes cabbage


I tested an idea, that I got a couple of days ago. There is the American national food macaroni and cheese, right? What if we do the impossible and make something low carb and actually tasty from it? Let's try!

Here it is! Looks mushy and a little bit like cheese potatoes or a potato salad or something. But, believe it or not, it is made of cabbage and cheese and is delicious!

Macaroni and cheese goes cabbage
To do a big amount of the stuff:

Take a small cabbage (about 1,5kg) and chop it. Boil it in water until done, drain. While the cabbage is boiling take 100 grams of mild cheese and grate it. Take also 200 grams of soft goat cheese and chop it. When the cabbage is done and drained, add all the cheese and 50 grams of butter and 1/2 dl of cream (optional). Stir until the cheese has melted. Add some tarragon, black pepper and salt to taste.

Serve hot as a side dish with anything you happen to have. I would use this with fish, as it has milk in it. Beware, this if very hardy dish and will make you very full with only a small serving.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings again,
    I think, at the Double Wars where I cooked for a tavern, I served a medival "maccaroni and cheese" menu which I found in a medival cookingbook. I had to digg very deep in my old SCA-Stuff to find out. Are you interessted?
    Please send me a mail: helmut-riebe@web.de
    Helmut zu Juelich
    ...

    ReplyDelete